Check System
Send us your comment!

Your comment will be read by our web staff, but will not be published.

Please do not enter any personal information. Your comment is voluntary and will remain anonymous, therefore we do not collect any information which would enable us to respond to any inquiries.

However, provides a How to Contact the IRS page where you will find guidance on where to submit specific questions.

Share this presentation
Copy and paste the following URL to share this presentation
To email a link to this presentation, click the following:
This program writes a small 'cookie' locally on your computer when you set a bookmark.
If you want to utilize this feature, check the following checkbox. Otherwise, bookmarks will be disabled.
This is an IRS
audio presentation.

To view this page, ensure that Adobe Flash Player
version 10 or greater is installed.

Get Adobe Flash player

BECKY: Hi. I´m Becky, and I work for the IRS.

Are you, or is someone you know a disabled veteran currently receiving a pension or disability income?

If so, you or they may be eligible to claim a federal tax refund if there has been an increase in your percentage of disability from the Veterans Administration, or you´ve been granted Combat-Related Special Compensation after an award for Concurrent Retirement and Disability.

Either event could be the basis for filing an amended tax form that could result in a tax refund.

As a disabled veteran, you or your hired tax professional will need to complete Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct your previously filed income tax return.

The form 1040X must be filed on a paper form and mailed and cannot be e-filed.

Disabled veterans should include all documents from the Veterans Administration and the Defense Finance and Accounting Services, explaining the changes, awards, proper tax treatment, and calculations.

An amended tax form only needs to be filed for the year of the V.A. reassessment of disability percentage, including any affected retroactive year, or the year that the Combat-Related Special Compensation is initially granted or adjusted, which may also include affected retroactive years.

Be sure you seek assistance from a tax professional before deciding that you need to file an amended tax form.

For more information, visit our Website at and type "Disabled Veterans" in the search box.